John and Julie Thurman Agricultural Scholarship will be awarded to one outstanding senior in Stanislaus County and one in Merced County
who plans to continue his or her education in agriculture. LETTERS OF APPLICATION should be forwarded by MARCH 28, 2019.
The John and Julie Thurman Agricultural Scholarship will be awarded to a high school senior student who has demonstrated an interest in
a career in agriculture through his or her course of study and extracurricular activities. Recipients will be required to attend either a two- or
a four-year college or university as a full-time student and pursue a major course of study in agriculture or related subject matter.
CRITERIA AND SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION:
1. Scholarships will be awarded to graduating students from Stanislaus and Merced County high schools.
2. Applicants shall have a 2.8 grade-point average during their sophomore and junior years.
3. The scholarship will be in the amount of $300.
4. APPLICATION DEADLINE WILL BE MARCH 28, 2019.
5. Letters of application must contain: a. Name, address, phone number, school attending b. Resume and Autobiographical essay
(limit essay to a maximum 2 pages) – including, but not limited to, a review of their high school academic performance, involvement
n extracurricular activities, and future goals as they relate to a career in agriculture. c. Three character references must accompany
each letter of application. d. Transcript from the sophomore and junior year to verify grade point average.
6. A scholarship committee, selected by the County Superintendents of Schools of Stanislaus and Merced, shall select recipients of
the scholarships and make such awards. The committee shall select the most highly qualified students from the total number of
applicants from Stanislaus and Merced Counties.
7. Scholarship awards will be announced the first week in May.