An Overview of the Process
The State Seal Biliteracy honors students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one additional language.
Who can apply?
- Seniors enrolled in participating high schools
- To be eligible, seniors must first meet the new guidelines set by the California Department of Education.
- Check the "Participating High Schools" webpage to see if your high school is registered to participate in the program
What are the new Seal requirements?
- The full list of state requirements can be found here.
- The Seal process must now start at students' districts and high schools.
- What are new districts' requirements?
- Per new state mandate, each district will establish it's own assessment guidelines and deadlines.
- Please contact your high school's administration office for your specific guidelines and deadlines.
- Students must turn in the completed permission slip
- Will the entire Seal process happen at the high school?
- No. Students will be prescreened by the sites then complete the process at the county office.
The Application Process
- The application process for all seniors will start at their participating high school.
- Eligible seniors should contact their participating high school for complete list of requirements.
- All students must be screened at participating schools for:
- completion of state requirements,
- completion of the permission slip, and
- writing proficiency in English and the target language(s).
- Students who have successfully navigated the application process, at participating schools, will be invited to the Student Interview Event on March 14, 2020.
- Additional information about the Student Interview Event can be found on the FAQ webpage.
Permission to Participate
Your Seal Portfolio
- Each district will determine what the writing portion of the Seal Portfolio consists of.
- Eligible seniors should contact their participating high school for additional information.
- The interviews are the final piece of the portfolio.
- Prequalified seniors will receive an invitation to the Student Interview Event on March 14, 2020
Major Events in the Seal Process
- Fall 2019 - Student should contact their participating high school at the beginning of the school year to ensure deadlines are not missed.
- January 29, 2020 - Deadline for districts to submit:
- List of prequalified seniors
- Completed student permission slips
- List of assessors for the Student Interview Event
- The Student Interview Event takes place on Saturday, March 14, 2020.
- It is critical that you are available on this date, as no make ups are possible.
- At the Student Interview Event, you will be interviewed at least twice; once in English and once for every target language for which you are attempting the Seal.
- Students must earn: coming soon!
- Interview results will be released as quickly as possible to participating high schools first.
- You will receive an email detailing your results and whether or not you will receive the Seal after the high school is notified.