John and Julie Thurman Agricultural $300 Scholarship will be awarded to one outstanding senior in Stanislaus County and one in Merced County who plans to continue his or her education in agriculture.
Application deadline for students will be March 31, 2021. The scholarship will be announced the first week in May.
A scholarship committee, selected by the County Superintendents of Schools office of both Stanislaus and Merced, shall select recipients of the scholarships and make such awards. The committee shall select the most highly qualified students from the total number of applicants from Stanislaus and Merced Counties.
Criteria to apply:
1. Graduating students from a high school in Stanislaus County or Merced County are eligible to apply
2. Demonstrated an interest in a career in agriculture through his or her course of study and extracurricular activities.
3. Recipients shall plan to attend either a two- or a four-year college or university as a full-time student and pursue a major course of study in agriculture or related subject matter.
4. Earned a 2.8 grade point average (GPA) during their sophomore and junior years.
5. PLEASE ATTACH TO YOUR APPLICATION: 1) Autobiographical essay (limit essay to a maximum of 2 pages) – including, but not limited to, a review of high school academic performance, involvement in extracurricular activities, and future goals as they relate to a career in agriculture, 2) Three letters of character references, 3) Transcript from sophomore and junior year to verify GPA.